This weekend the fiancee and I were the proud witnesses of a 4-goal game for Chris Kunitz in a spectacular ass-whooping of the Washington Capitals. As elated as I was over the win- especially because the Pens lost the last time we saw these two meet at the Verizon Center- there were plenty of things I found completely ridiculous. Here are the top five crappy things bad sports fans did at the game:
5. The Boo Birds - This one I ALMOST understand. It really sucks when your team is shitty, and it's very frustrating to spend oodles of money to watch them play (and lose). Freel though, it was about midway through the second period, the Caps were down by two goals, and the boo birds came out. There were 30 minutes remaining in the game, people!! That's when the Pens started dominating, but I still feel it was premature. Then they went so far as to change up the boooos to "Crosby Sucks." HOW CREATIVE. And how did Ovi do you ask? He ended the game with one assist. Asshats.
4. Kicking Children - It's wonderful you want to share a love of sport with your offspring. I wish I had the opportunity to go to major sporting events when I was a kid (we really didn't have that where I grew up... unless you count minor league baseball). I also know that you can't always control your children and sometimes kids are jerks. However, it is EXTREMELY hard to get your f-ing kid to STOP KICKING MY CHAIR because you're too f-ing fat to intimidate your kid. Really. I turned around when a nice, plump (some would say obese, but I'm not a doctor) family of Caps fans sat down behind the fiancee and me. I offered the kid in question a high five and was snubbed. Then said little boy kicked the ever-loving crap out of my chair for two periods. Thank goodness they left after that. I think if they hadn't been so fat, they would have had the lung capacity to boo along with the other birds.
3. Football fans - okay, I understand it's über-convenient that Pittsburgh's professional sports teams share the same basic color scheme- black and gold. However, I find it completely unacceptable to wear Steelers gear to a Pens game. Seriously, it's not as though it's 32 below and you're just piling on gear to stay warm. You have the dough to buy rather expensive tickets to attend a Pens game, you tell me you can't spend $10 at Giant Eagle pick up the right paraphernalia for the game you're attending?? Speaking of...
Not the best picture, but I was being surreptitious. Seriously, I could smell this kid's hat over the usual smells of the metro. NASTY.
1. Not showing respect for the National Anthem - not many things get me more fired up than people not doing the right thing when we honor the nation. It's really simple: stand up, take off your hat, put your right hand over your heart, and either sing along or shut the hell up. Jeff and I were standing next two a couple of Russians straight off the boat, and guess what? They stood up and were more respectful than at least half that arena. Also, when did it become appropriate for people to show random lyrics because they have something to do with your team? I know the Caps aren't the only offenders, but really... for a minute or two, maybe you could not be an obno fan. Just saying.
Go enjoy some sport, but please, don't be an ass about it.
No comments:
Post a Comment